How do I deposit using Moneygram?

In order to deposit using a Moneygram, you must first purchase the Moneygram at a retail location.  You must follow the instructions below to make sure the MoneyGram is directed to the proper account.  After purchasing the MoneyGram, you need to call Customer Service to have it credited to your account.

MoneyGram Payment Instructions

  1. Visit the nearest MoneyGram or CanadaPost location.  To find the nearest retail location, visit or call 1-800-MONEYGRAM (800-666-3947).
  2. When purchasing your MoneyGram, you must provide the following information:
    1. Sender Information.  Your full name and address, including city and postal code, as well as your phone number.
    2. Account number to pay.  Your phone number (without dashes)
    3. Company Name.  For phone calls: Synergy Prepaid Phone.  For Inmate Trust: Synergy Trust/Commissary
    4. Amount to pay.  Amount you wish to send in Dollars.
    5. Receive code.  For British Columbia inmates: 18917.  For all other Canada inmates: 12552
    6. Payment type.  Credit or Debit Card (varies by location)
  3. After completing your purchase of the MoneyGram, the retailer will provide you with a receipt containing an 8 digit reference number.  You must keep this number.
  4. Call Synergy to have your MoneyGram credited to the proper inmate account.  For British Columbia Inmates, call 844-369-7776.  For all other inmates in Canada, call: 866-713-4761.  Be ready to provide the 8-digit reference code from your receipt.  You will also need to provide your name, phone number, and postal code.  You can deposit onto an inmates phone account, or their Trust account, so be ready to provide this information, along with the Inmate’s name, Offender ID, and the name of the Correctional Centre.


How do I add money to my account?

  1. Go to
  2. Click your facility in the list below the map.
  3. For payment service, click Offender Phone Calls.
  4. Enter the inmate number (or booking number) of your resident. If you do not know it, or if there are more than one residents you want to contact, you can click “Deposit money for all calls to your number.”
  5. Complete the prompts.

Can I deposit money that the inmate can use to call any authorized contact?

Yes. With the Inmate Account, funds go into the inmate’s account to pay for phone calls (or other Synergy communication services that may be available at your facility) with a list of authorized contacts.

Can I deposit money that the inmate can use to only call me?

Yes. With the Friends & Family Account, you can choose to deposit funds that can be used to only call a specific phone number. Just enter the phone number you would like to use.

What happens if I never call in to get a refund of my balance?

Any remaining funds will stay on the account until they are used or until a refund is issued. Refunds are only issued upon customer request.

I still have funds on my Friends & Family Account, and my inmate is back in jail. Can I re-use the funds?

  • Yes. If the inmate is at a facility that Synergy services and there are funds issued to you from a previous refund, you can use those funds again.
  • You’ll receive the remaining Friends & Family Account balance with a secure pin.
  • You can use this pin to make local, national or international calls by dialing 1-866-713-4761 (or 844-369-7776 for British Columbia facilities) and entering your pin and the number you’d like to call.
  • To receive your pin, call Customer Service. You cannot use this balance to continue to make deposits or communicate with active inmates who are in facilities that are not serviced by Synergy.

How long until I receive my refund?

  • If your refund was issued as a check, you will receive it within 6-10 weeks.
  • If your refund is going back to the credit card you used to make the deposit, it can take 3-5 days to post, depending on your bank/credit card company.

Related question: Will my refund be issued in cash or to my credit card?

Will my refund be issued in cash or to my credit card?

  • If your deposit was made in cash at a kiosk, or with MoneyGram, then the cash refund is refunded as a check.
  • If your deposit was made using a credit card, then the cash refund would go back to the card that was originally used for the deposit.

How do I transfer funds to a new phone number?

To transfer funds to a new phone number, call Customer Service: 1-866-713-4761 (or 844-369-7776 for British Columbia facilities)